The Comprehensive Agriculture and Rural Development-Facility (CARD-F) is one of the key agricultural and rural development programs of the Government of Islamic Republic of Afghanistan (GoIRA). CARD-F aims to increase employment, income and business opportunities for rural masses through the design, facilitation and implementation of commercially viable agricultural value chains supplemented with rural infrastructure projects in the target provinces of Afghanistan. As a model of cross-ministry collaboration, CARD-F is governed by an Inter-Ministerial Committee (IMC) that consists of the Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock, the Ministry of Rural Rehabilitation and Development, the Ministry of Counter Narcotics and the Ministry of Finance. Funded by the UK Department of International Development (DFID) and Danish Fund (DANIDA), CARD-F provides needs-based support and services to facilitate growth in legal rural income and employment by providing alternative livelihood opportunities.
CARD-F provides value-chain-oriented services through the design, implementation and facilitation of Economic Development Packages (EDPs) to address the important needs of rural communities in various provinces. First CARD-F identifies the needs, and then identifies the challenge and bottlenecks that prevents people from accessing their needs, finally designs and implements the packages that potentially tackle and address the challenges.
Achievements to Date:
- Created 18,022 rural employment opportunities and Increased rural net income to more than AFN 84 billion.
- Stimulated more than AFN 211 billion of private sector investments in agricultural value chains.
- Trained 21,334 farmers in good practices for vegetable, poultry, dairy, honey, cotton production and access to national and international markets.
- Established 3 feed mills in Kabul, Nangarhar and Balkh provinces with total capacity of 129,600 MTs of poultry feed annually.
- Constructed 14 breeder farms in Nangarhar, Balkh and Herat provinces. These farms have together produced 75 million fertile eggs.
- Constructed 11 layer farms in Herat and Balkh provinces with total capacity of more than 21 million table eggs annually.
- Constructed and standardized 312 commercial broiler farms in Kabul, Balkh, Herat, Helmand, Laghman, Kunar, Kandahar, Nangarhar and Takhar provinces. These farms have together produced 14,206 MTs of broiler meet.
- Constructed 8 hatcheries in Nangarhar & Herat provinces that have together produced more than 47 million day old chicks.
- Established 4,113 small scale layer farms in Balkh, Badakhshan, Takhar, Parwan, Kapisa, Nangarhar, Kandahar, Khost, Logar, Laghman, Kunar and Herat provinces. These farms have together produced about 1 million table eggs.
- Established 1,030 commercial scale greenhouses in Nangarhar, Badakhshan, Parwan, Kabul, Kandahar, Khost, Laghman, Kunar, Takhar and Helmand provinces. These farms have together produced about 4,566 MTs of fresh vegetables.
- Trellised 1,081 Jeribs of vineyards and Established 90 Kishmish Khanas (Raisins Drying Facilities) in Parwan, Kabul and Kandahar provinces. These Kishmish Khanas have together produced 123 MTs raisins.
- Established 1 milk processing plant and 7 milk collection centers (able to collect 22,000 liters of milk daily) in Balkh and Herat provinces. These milk collection centers have together collected about 8 million liters of milk.
- Established 12 milking cow farms (each one with 170 M2 areas) in Balkh province. These farms have a total capacity of sheltering 120 milking cows which can together produce 2,400 liters of milk per day.
- Established 825 honey bee farms in Badakhshan, Khost and Helmand provinces. These farms have together produced more than 181 MTs of honey.
- Established 1 seed oil extraction plant and 1 oil refinery plant in Balkh province with the capacity of producing 20 tons of unrefined oil and 30 tons of refined oil per day. Established 1 Cotton Ginning & Oil Extraction Plant in Kandahar province with the capacity of 12 metric tons cotton processing and 2 metric tons of cottonseed oil production per hour.
- Completed the construction work of 14 KM road in Balkh district of Balkh province.
- Built 8 irrigation canals and 3 water reservoirs in Nangarhar and Badakhshan provinces. These canals cumulatively irrigate 10,630 hectares of land in eastern and northern Afghanistan.
*Last updated: April 2018