Closing Date: 21st July 2018
Information about the Assignment:
CARD-F has supported the establishment of breeders and hatchery farms in various major provinces of Afghanistan by stimulating private sector investment where private investors have taken the lead to venture in this sector. In total, CARD-F has implemented the establishment of 12 breeder farms (10 with the capacity of 10K, one with the capacity of 20K and one with 15K capacity). Out of these breeder farms, 6 are not currently functional, 4 are currently functional, and 2 are yet to install their equipment/machinery to functionalize in the near future.
Although, 10 of the breeders’ farms were functionalized once; however, the consistent market issues and unfavorable market practices affected their overall business and profitability. Some of these entrepreneurs also have technical and capacity problems which result into high cost of production and therefore lower profitability. This is further exacerbating when outbreaks of diseases take place. Thus, most of these facilities are under stress and reluctant to re-functionalize in order to capture the market opportunities. CARD-F has realized that part of the problem lies; lacking the capacity and know-how to operate effectively therefore CARD-F has planned to extend its soft and technical support to these target breeders farms by deploying experts for short term (Maximum 7 working days for each breeder site) to provide on-job trainings, oversight technical support by overseeing the practices, guiding them by developing management tools, conducting trails and equip them with overall management skills and techniques so that these farmers operate at maximum capacity with higher production and lower cost which will result into profitability.
Duties and Responsibilities:
This is a short-term (max three months) assignment and deployment is largely in presence at sites (Kabul, Nangarhar, Herat, Takhar, Balkh and Khost of Afghanistan). The following terms of references are expected to be delivered;
- Train the staff/workers in all aspects of farm management from pre delivery of Day Old Chick (DOC), up to depletion of the breeders
- Train the Farm supervisor/technical staff in maintaining of high standard of bio security
- Work closely with the breeder farm extension officers/staff to ensure proper management of the breeder farms and delivery of fertile eggs, hatching eggs to fulfill hatchery requirements
- Responsible for carrying out practical trails/tests of breeder production management, health, bio-security, husbandry and poultry welfare practices
- Train farm workers with feeding, watering, vaccination, weight control, nest training of hens and lighting schedule including spiking and intra-spiking practices in order to guarantee the production of eggs having high fertility rates
- Deliver technical training and other soft training to breeder farm supervisory/management as needed and ensure sufficient guide notes, checklists and operating manual for light control and weight control are developed for future smooth and standards operations
- Guide staff on developing mechanisms to be carried out during weather extremes (very hot or cold)
- Train staff on maintaining disease free breeder flocks; achieve high production with quality standards and targets as established for the farm
- Mentor farmer / workers on achieving Health and Safety Targets as Standard SOPs
The total list of breeders and beneficiaries are given in table below:
|S.No||Provinces||Target Breeders||Expected Trainees/Audience for Practical Trainings at sites|
|1||Nangarhar||5 Breeders Farms (one with 15 K Capacity, three with 10K Capacity and one with 5K Capacity)||Entrepreneurs/Investors, Technical Staff and Farmers/workers (Maximum 25 Trainees for all Breeders)|
|2||Kabul||2 Breeders with 10K Capacity Each||Entrepreneurs/Investors, Technical Staff and Farmers/workers (Maximum 10 Trainees for all breeders)|
|3||Takhar||1 Breeder Farm with 10K Capacity||Entrepreneurs/Investors, Technical Staff and Farmers/workers (Maximum 5 Trainees)|
|4||Herat||1 Breeder Farm with 10K Capacity||Entrepreneurs/Investors, Technical Staff and Farmers/workers (Maximum 5 Trainees)|
|5||Balkh||1 Breeder Farm with 10K Capacity||Entrepreneurs/Investors, Technical Staff and Farmers/workers (Maximum 5 Trainees)|
|6||Khost||1 Breeder Farm with 10K Capacity||Entrepreneurs/Investors, Technical Staff and Farmers/workers (Maximum 5 Trainees)|
The incumbent must produce the following output for this assignment.
- Trained Entrepreneur and his/her staff on the Breeders maintenance, management and supervision
- Technical and Management Staff of breeders farms trained on biosecurity management
- Assisted Entrepreneurs and his/her staff to identify common and specific diseases in breeders and its prevention methods
- Trails and Tests conducted to practically train staff on breeders management
- Checklist and Farm Operations Manual/Guides developed for operations of breeder
- A report briefing CARD-F on the assignment delivery and recommendations to both CARD-F and Entrepreneur
- Please mention the daily fees that you wish to charge for the assignment. Please ensure the quoted fees is inclusive of all costs but not limited to traveling, food, VISA, residence etc.
- Timing of initiating the assignment is important, therefore, the incumbent is required to mention the earliest possible date that he/she is able to start the assignment
- CARD-F Grantee or his/her designated staff, CARD-F Programme Development Director/ Deputy Program Development Director and/or Senior Poultry Specialist
- Conduct an intensive theoretical training for about 10 days in Kabul for all target audience/entrepreneurs including some key staff of CARD-F as a cluster
- Maximum 7 working days for each breeder (6 days one site and one day for drafting brief report and debriefing on assignment)
- The training may be given by one expert or group of experts at the same time; targeting each breeder farm at a time traveling to all target sites
- The schedule maybe proposed by the consultant/consultancy however the overall delivery of this entire assignment is expected to be end September 2018 and shall not exceed the timeline
- A maximum number of working days required to deliver this assignment is 87 days (10 days for intensive theoretical training in Kabul for entire cluster, 7 days technical on-job training plus support per breeder X 11 sites = 77 days); this may be reduced if some sites could be clustered like Breeders Farms in Jalalabad.
- Education and General Experience:
- Master’s degree in Poultry Management, Animal Husbandary or Livestock with 5 years of experience with reputable agencies/suppliers like Big Dutchman, Cobb and Hobbard and the likes
- Bachelor Degree in Poultry Management, Animal Husbandary or Livestock with 7 Years of Practical experience with reputable agencies/suppliers like Big Dutchman, Cobb and Hobbard and the likes and/or
- High School Degree with more than 15 years of demonstrated experience with reputable agencies/suppliers like Big Dutchman, Cobb and Hobbard and the likes on Poultry Management, Animal Husbandary or Livestock related assignments
- Demonstrated Specific Experience:
- Demonstrated expereience with evidence is required on management of commercial poultry farms (breeders) , biosecurity and training technical staff on poultry breeding, diseases and quality control
Note: Only applicants who meet these requirements will be considered.
Please read the submission steps in order to have a successful application.
By Electronic submission:
- Preferably, you should apply through job application portal by clicking the button “Apply for this job” located at the bottom of this ToR.
- Complete the Online Job Application Form by attaching your CV and Cover Letter.
- Please do not attach any other documents.
- Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
- Only short listed candidates will be contacted.